Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: J. M. and Nancy E. Smith

Boy was I excited today when I checked my e-mail and found that my Find A Grave request for my great-great grandparents had been fulfilled. John Mack "Maxie" Smith was b. 26 Feb 1831 in Bowling Green, Warren, Kentucky and d. 13 Jan 1900 in Jerome, Appanoose, Iowa. He m. Nancy Ellen Hickman in 1851. She was b. 4 Feb 1834 in Kentucky and d. 15 Aug 1896 in Jerome, Appanoose, Iowa. They are buried in Jerome Cemetery, Jerome, Appanoose, Iowa. They had nine children: Ellen; John Franklin "Frank"; William Thomas "Tom"; James; Stephen Henry "Henry"; Martha Jane "Mattie"; Mary Cleoria "Ora"; John Martin "Mart"; and Leonard E. Thanks so much to Find A Grave Contributor: rhondabrent for taking this wonderful photo.

5 comments:

  1. I'm happy for you. Aftr all the photos you've taken and posted, it's payback time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be interested in exchanging information with you as I am researching Jerome, Iowa, and the people who have lived in the Jerome area, including those buried in the Jerome Cemetery. My research results are regularly published in The Jerome Journal at http://thejeromejournal.blogspot.com. Let me hear from you at thehawk.bill@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, I will be visiting the Jerome Cemetery at the end of June. If you need any other pictures, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the best kind of emails! I just got one today from the Macoupin County clerks office saying they found a probate record I requested and the cost for a copy: $1.00
    Gotta love the generous people who help us all out in our research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am astounded (for several reasons). One for you, congratulations. The other, for me. John Mack Smith is also my great great grand father. (And has been a continuous stumbling block because I knew he was there and could not find any information on him other than the basics. And now... This is the 3rd time the folks at gindagrave have keyed in on something I needed. If you have ancestry info on past him I would appreciate any information you could pass my way! Smiles all around :).

    ReplyDelete